Monday, November 17, 2008

Suzuki GZ250

So most people that I have spoken with have not believed that I bought a motorbike. As weird as it is, yes I have a bike. It is considered an entry level bike by retailers and enthusiast. Most people buy this bike to learn how to ride a bike, and then quickly move up on the size once they feel comfortable. To give you a better idea of what kind of power and size I am riding on, here are a few specs and comparisons.


Your typical (stock) Honda Civic EX usually has a about 115 HP from a 1.8 Liter engine. If my math is right then that is about 1800cc. My bike is a Suzuki GZ250 and it is 250cc. Or 0.25 Liters. It pumps out about 18 HP. Not even enough to lift my front tire off the ground (which is what both Maren and I prefer). My bike weights roughly 350 lbs. A Honda Civic weights about 2000 lbs.

Maren and I decided to go this route because I have to drive 2.5 miles every day to go to work. My previous commuter is a wonderful car, but it only gets 17 mpg in the city. My bike will do 65mpg in the city. I fill it's 3 gallon tank every 3 to 4 weeks versus my car's 1 to 2 weeks between fill ups.


One more factor went into getting a bike. We went car shopping several times and while we found things we liked we still would have been locked into payments of 200 dollars a month for something that is not as efficient as this bike. So I bought it outright. I own it and now I only have to pay for gas... and insurance, Which is a whopping $108 dollars a year for full coverage.

Yes I like riding my bike, but if I had the money then I would be in a car. I have seen too many accidents here at BYU involving scooters or motorbikes.

2 comments:

  1. Dude...that's SO BOSS! Nice HOG! Trying to think if there are any other biker words that would be appropriate here. Nope. None come to mind. You guys look so tough (almost said cute but caught myself just in time)!

    ReplyDelete